Saturday, August 2, 2014

How to combat the milk powder scam



Last week in Siam Reap, I came across the milk powder scam ( a child holding a baby begs the tourist for milk powder instead of cash) and actually saw an American tourist pay $59 US at the mini market for the milk powder, which is then sold back to the shop etc etc. It was too late, but I told the American of the scam and whilst he was horrified, was also annoyed that he had parted with his cash. The young boy scammer, started getting extremely angry towards me for me explaining the scam to another tourist couple, who were possibly also about to be relieved of some of their cash. In excellent english he told me to "go away"and then kicked me in the shin when I didn't. The Police are in on this scam! He encouraged me to go with him...pointing to the two Policemen sitting at the end of Pub St. He showed no fear of walking towards them with me.

Instead, I got out my camera and started videoing him....saying "Hey...ok if I put this on You Tube?'' That's when his attitude changed very quickly. He tried pulling his tee shirt over his head, turning around, hands covering his face....anything to avoid his face and this scam being put on the internet. When he thought I had gone....he pulled his Tee Shirt down from over his head....only to find me still videoing. I'm not going to put it on You Tube....however....someone eventually might.....and the more exposure this scam gets, then the more likely that the perpetrators will have to give up on this horrific way of using new born babies to make money for scrupulous pathetic adults. So I might be wrong.....but by me taking out my camera....that was his biggest fear, not reporting to the Tourist Police.

Related Posts

How to combat the milk powder scam
4/ 5
Oleh